Andhra CM wants Hyderabad`s Rajiv Gandhi airport renamed after NT Rama Rao
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Thursday expressed hoped that Hyderabad`s Rajiv Gandhi international airport will be renamed after TDP founder N T Rama Rao.
Naidu said the airport was originally named after former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N T Rama Rao but once its location was shifted from Begumpet to Shamshabad, the then Congress government at the Centre renamed it after former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
"The Central government has to do it. This has been our demand," he told PTI after a meeting with Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju, who belongs to TDP, had recently said that Hyderabad`s Rajiv Gandhi international airport will be renamed after the TDP founder.
In 2008, when UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi inaugurated the airport at Shamshabad, the TDP had objected to the renaming of the airport.
Naidu also asked the Central government to accord the status of special state to Andhra Pradesh.
Naidu said he has been asking the Central government to grant the status of special state to Andhra Pradesh for 15 years.
"The BJP has also said in its election manifesto that the status of special state should be given to Andhra Pradesh for 10 years. I have discussed the issue with the Home Minister and he said that the Central government will look into it sympathetically," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read