Andhra Congress legislator resigns over MP`s expulsion
Rajahmundry: Congress MLA in Rajahmundry Routhu Surya Prakash Rao on Tuesday resigned from the party to protest the expulsion of Lok Sabha member V Arun Kumar.
Kumar, the MP from Rajahmundry, is among half a dozen Congress Lok Sabha members from Seemandhra who were today expelled by the party. They had given notices of no-confidence motion against the Congress-led UPA government over their opposition to the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh.
Rao said he has faxed his resignation letter to Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee President Botsa Satyanarayana in protest against the action against Kumar. He described Kumar as "an honest leader totally focused on the welfare of his people".
The MLA from Rajahmundry (Urban) Assembly constituency in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh said he will meet Satyanarayana tomorrow morning.
"I am going to Hyderabad to meet the APCC chief and hand over resignation letter personally to him," he told PTI.
Asked about his political plan post-resignation, the two-term legislator said the future course of action will be decided tomorrow.
Meanwhile, there are reports that several Congress leaders and activists from his constituency, too, will quit the party tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt