Andhra cops thrash 16-year-old boy; probe ordered
Karimnagar/Hyderabad: A day after a
sixteen-year-old boy was allegedly beaten up by police in full
public view at Jagtial town in Karimnagar district of Andhra
Pradesh, the state human rights commission today directed the
DGP to file a status report on the incident on March 7.
"This incident appears to be barbaric and violates the
human rights of the boy, who was dealt with unlawfully," SHRC
Member (Non-Judicial) Kakumanu Peda Peri Reddy said, adding
the commission has taken a suo motu cognisance of media
reports which last night telecast the footage showing the cops
beating up the boy.
Circle police inspector Deva Reddy and constable Ganga
Reddy yesterday picked up the boy from Brahmin Street in the
town on suspicion that he along with one Gopi was involved in
theft of petrol and spare parts from parked vehicles, family
members of the victim said.
They alleged that the duo repeatedly slapped the boy
and also hit him on his hands with a stick in middle of the
road and the inspector even took out his revolver and pointed
it towards the boy.
After a local television channel telecast the footage
of the boy being beaten up by policemen last night, an inquiry
was immediately ordered into the incident.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), A Rama
Rajeshwari, who conducted an inquiry into the incident and
submitted a report to the higher officials, found the
inspector and constable resorted to "high-handedness" and has
recommended a disciplinary action against the duo.
"I also saw the original video footage and the cops
prima facie seem to be responsible for the high-handedness and
I recommended for disciplinary action against them," she told
PTI, adding the locals handed over the boy to the police when
they caught him "indulging in theft".
As part of the investigation, the inspector had taken
the boy to scene of offence and while being examined the CI
and the constable seem to have slapped and hit the boy with a
stick, she explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez