Andhra discom to pay customer for cutting power without notice
New Delhi: The Andhra Pradesh Eastern Power Distribution Co Ltd (APEPDCL) has been asked by the apex consumer commission to pay Rs 1.53 lakh as compensation to one of its customers for disconnecting his power supply without prior notice.
The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on the state-run discom while dismissing its plea challenging the orders of the state and district consumer fora which had directed APEPDCL to pay the damages to its customer, who used to run a photo studio and power supply to which had been disconnected by it.
The discom in its plea had contended that the studio owner was not the consumer and the power connection was registered in the name of his landlord.
The NCDRC bench, presided by Justice J M Malik, however, rejected the discom`s contention saying, "complainant (Ganesh) was the potential user of the electricity in question. He should have been given a notice before taking action against him.
"If such cases are allowed, in that event every landlord while working in cahoots with the electricity board will get the electricity of tenant disconnected."
In his complaint to the district forum, photo studio owner Andhra Pradesh native P V S L Ganesh had said that he had paid the charges for power usage to his landlord in 2009 from whom he had taken the premises on rent to run his business.
He had alleged that the power supply to his shop was disconnected without informing him and was re-established after considerable delay.
The NCDRC bench also comprising its member Vinay Kumar further said the power supply was restored after considerable time and "under these circumstances, the compensation granted by the district forum in the sum of Rs 1,50,000 besides costs of Rs 3,000 and upheld by the state commission is sans flaw".
"Viewed from any angle it is found that revision petition is ill-conceived and as such the same is dismissed with costs of Rs 10,000, which will be deposited with the Consumer Legal Aid Account of this Commission within a period of four weeks," the bench added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'