Andhra governor meets PM, Shinde ahead of Telangana meet
New Delhi/Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan Friday called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and discussed the latest situation in the state with them ahead of the all party meet on Telangana.
The governor had separate meetings with the prime minister and the home minister. He also called on Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Finance Minister P. Chidambaram.
The meetings assume significance in view of the Dec 28 all-party meeting called by Shinde.
Narasimhan, who is also a former chief of Intelligence Bureau, is believed to have submitted a detailed report on the situation in the state to the prime minister.
The governor`s visit to Delhi and his meetings with central leaders came under criticism from the state`s opposition parties, which alleged that he was on a political mission.
Narasimhan refused to comment on criticism by his rivals for his meetings with Congress leaders.
The main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) alleged that the governor had become a puppet in the hands of of the ruling Congress.
TDP leader G. Muddu Krishnama Naidu criticized the governor for making trips to Delhi instead of sanctioning prosecution of state minister Dharmana Prasada Rao, an accused in YSR Congress party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy`s illegal assets case.
TDP demanded the governor to reject the state cabinet`s recommendation not to accord sanction to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for prosecution of Dharmana.
Communist Party of India (CPI) state secretary K. Narayana alleged that the governor was crossing his limits and termed his conduct as "objectionable". The CPI leader wanted the governor to take initiative to solve Telangana issue.
In the past, the governor had come under criticism from a section of Congress leaders from Telangana leaders for allegedly opposing the demand for separate statehood to the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'