Andhra minister among 15 trapped in Nepal hills
Hyderabad: An Andhra Pradesh cabinet minister, a state legislator and 13 others on the Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage were on Sunday trapped in a hilly area on the Nepal-Tibet border, according to information reaching here.
The group will spend the night there as a helicopter to bring them to Kathmandu is expected to land only on Monday.
Housing Minister Kanna Lakshminarayana, legislator A Srinivas and others were trapped in area since Sunday afternoon.
The state government sought help from the Defence Ministry to rescue the group after the minister alerted state Chief Secretary SV Prasad. The minister informed the government on Sunday night that they were safe and had taken shelter in a house, where they would spend the night.
The Nepalese Army has reportedly agreed to send a helicopter to the hilly area on Monday.
The minister and legislator along with their family members had gone on pilgrimage on June 11 through a private tour operator.
As the helicopter, which was supposed to bring them back, did not land and three members of the group took ill due to bad weather, the minister sought help from the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley
- VVIP chopper scam: No deal inked with AgustaWestland, says Govt
- When Pranab rubbed nose with Maori chief
- Indian Premier League, Match 26: Delhi Daredevils vs Kolkata Knight Riders - As it happened...
- Investigative agencies have ability to find money trail: Jayant Sinha