Andhra ministers seek early resolution of Telangana issue
Hyderabad: A group of Andhra Pradesh ministers from the Telangana region Tuesday called on President Pranab Mukherjee and sought his intervention for immediately carving out a separate state.
Six ministers, including state Home Minister Sabita Indra Reddy and Major Industries Minister Geeta Reddy, met Mukherjee at Rashtrapathi Nilayam, the president`s official retreat Bolarum in Secunderabad here.
The ministers urged the president to ensure that immediate steps are taken for the formation of a Telangana state. They said people of the region had long been demanding a separate statehood and it was time the central government fulfilled their demand.
Mukherjee, who headed a committee formed by the UPA government to look into the Telangana issue in 2008, told the ministers that he was aware of the issue. The ministers told reporters that the president hoped the problem would be solved soon.
The ministers called on the president on the last day of his eight-day southern sojourn. During his visit, Mukherjee stressed the need for women`s safety in the wake of the tragic gang-rape and subsequent death of a 23-year-old woman in Delhi.
At an all-party meet in Delhi Dec 28, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had said the central government would find a solution to Telangana issue in a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list