Andhra panel to look into discrimination against Muslim prisoners
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh State Minorities Commission will visit jails in Telangana to get first-hand information about complaints of discrimination against Muslim inmates, an official said Tuesday.
Commission chairman Abid Rasool Khan told reporters that panel members will meet Muslim prisoners to know about their problems.
He said the commission received complaints that Muslim prisoners were not being provided facilities for prayers during the holy month of Ramadan.
The commission has also issued notice to the jail authorities seeking information about the facilities for the inmates.
The panel has already urged the Telangana government to ensure that Muslim prisoners get all facilities for `shar` (pre-dawn meals) and `iftar` (breaking of fast) during Ramadan.
There are also complaints that Muslim prisoners were not being allowed to offer namaz together, Khan said.
At a meeting convened by Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhara Rao Monday to review the arrangements for Ramadan, the minorities commission drew his attention to the problems faced by Muslim prisoners.
The chief minister has directed Director General of Police Anurag Sharma to look into the complaints and ensure proper treatment to the Muslim inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!