Andhra parties want early decision on Telangana
New Delhi: The all-party meeting on Telangana on Friday saw majority of political parties asking the Congress and UPA government to put an end to the "uncertainty" in Andhra Pradesh by coming out with an immediate decision on the issue.
Telugu Desam Party and YSR Congress Party headed by Congress rebel YS Jaganmohan Reddy remained ambivalent and put the onus on the Centre to take a call on the statehood demand while accusing it of having taken "imprudent actions".
Sources said two representatives of Congress gave conflicting opinions -- one in favour of Telangana and the other opposing the creation of a separate state, while CPI, TRS and BJP gave their green signal for bifurcating Andhra Pradesh. CPI(M) is opposed to creation of Telangana.
CPI, TRS and BJP also prodded the Centre to come out with an announcement on bifurcation of the state soon.
All India Majlis-e-Ittehad-ul-Muslimeen (AIMIM) opposed division of Andhra Pradesh, but said if the Centre decides to create Telangana, then Hyderabad should be part of the new state along with Rayalaseema. Hyderabad should not be made a Union Territory, the party said.
There was no clarity on the stand expressed by Congress with one of its representatives K R Suresh Reddy saying that the Congress stood for two states.
"I told the meeting that the Congress stood for two states. When other political parties insisted what is the stand of the Congress, the Home Minister interjected to say that the Congress representative has said that the party stood for two states," he claimed.
Reddy claimed that whatever he told the meeting was the stand of the Congress. However, his colleagues from non-Telangana regions differed from him.
TDP representatives at the meeting produced a letter from party chief N Chandrababu Naidu to Shinde which said his party has not withdrawn a letter sent to the then External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on its stand to support creation of Telangana.
However, he did not say clearly whether the party supported the Telangana demand in the changed circumstances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali