Andhra permits Telangana march in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Bowing to the pressure from pro-Telangana groups, the Andhra Pradesh government Friday night decided to allow the Telangana march in the city Sunday.
After several rounds of talks between ministers from Telangana and leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy agreed to give permission for the march but with certain conditions.
The JAC has been allowed to conduct the march on Necklace Road on the banks of Hussain Sagar lake. It originally planned to hold the march on Necklace Road and Tank Bund, forming a chain around the lake.
During the march on Tank Bund last year, protestors had vandalized statues of several Telugu personalities from the Andhra region.
Minister for Panchayat Raj K Jana Reddy told reporters that the government had given permission, respecting the sentiments of the people of Telangana and considering the appeals from all political parties, the JAC, people`s organisations, groups of students, employees, advocates and journalists.
Jana Reddy hoped that the organisers would respect their commitment and ensure peace during the march.
The police had earlier refused permission for the march in view of the Ganesha immersion procession Saturday and the United Nations conference on biodiversity beginning Oct 1.
During the last couple of days, the police arrested hundreds of Telangana activists coming to Hyderabad from various parts of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof