Andhra permits Telangana march in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Bowing to the pressure from pro-Telangana groups, the Andhra Pradesh government Friday night decided to allow the Telangana march in the city Sunday.
After several rounds of talks between ministers from Telangana and leaders of Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy agreed to give permission for the march but with certain conditions.
The JAC has been allowed to conduct the march on Necklace Road on the banks of Hussain Sagar lake. It originally planned to hold the march on Necklace Road and Tank Bund, forming a chain around the lake.
During the march on Tank Bund last year, protestors had vandalized statues of several Telugu personalities from the Andhra region.
Minister for Panchayat Raj K Jana Reddy told reporters that the government had given permission, respecting the sentiments of the people of Telangana and considering the appeals from all political parties, the JAC, people`s organisations, groups of students, employees, advocates and journalists.
Jana Reddy hoped that the organisers would respect their commitment and ensure peace during the march.
The police had earlier refused permission for the march in view of the Ganesha immersion procession Saturday and the United Nations conference on biodiversity beginning Oct 1.
During the last couple of days, the police arrested hundreds of Telangana activists coming to Hyderabad from various parts of Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal