Andhra Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic fervour
Hyderabad: The 65th Republic Day was Sunday celebrated across Andhra Pradesh with patriotic fervour and enthusiasm.
Governor ESL Narasimhan led the celebrations by unfurling the national flag at the main ceremony at the Secunderabad Parade Grounds here.
He took the salute and reviewed a colourful parade by contingents of the Indian Air Force, defence establishments, police, Home Guards, National Cadet Corps, Red Cross and others.
Tableaux by government departments highlighted the development and welfare schemes in the state.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, his cabinet colleagues and senior officials attended the function.
Speaking on the occasion, the governor said the state was making rapid strides in all sectors.
Narasimhan also spoke about various programmes being implemented for the welfare of socially and economically backward sections.
In the assembly premises, Speaker N. Manohar unfurled the tricolour while council chairman A. Chakrapani hoisted the flag.
The day was celebrated with enthusiasm in the offices of political parties.
At Gandhi Bhavan, headquarters of the ruling Congress party, the national tricolour was unfurled by state party chief Botsa Satyanarayana in the presence of the chief minister and party leaders.
Telugu Desam Party chief N. Chandrababu Naidu hoisted the flag at NTR Trust Bhavan, the party headquarters.
The celebrations were also held in the offices of the Bharatiya Janata Party, Telangana Rashtra Samithi, YSR Congress Party and the Communist parties.
Celebrations also took place in all 23 districts. The national flag was unfurled on government buildings and schools while people paid tributes to freedom fighters and martyrs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead