Andhra Pradesh CM forced to cancel mass contact programme in Medak
Hyderabad: Faced with stiff opposition from pro-Telangana forces, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy cancelled his programme at Sangareddy in Medak district scheduled for Wednesday.
With the Deputy Chief Minister Damodara Rajanarasimha and other pro-Telangana forces saying that the CM is "not welcome" to tour their region, the Chief Minister was forced to cancel his programme as part of his pet mass contact initiative to review welfare schemes of the state government.
Pro-Telangana forces have branded the Chief Minister an "integrationist" and said that he has no right to tour the Telangana region.
Besides, ministers J Geeta Reddy and V Sunitha Laxma Reddy, hailing from Medak district, met the Chief Minister here today and reportedly requested him to put off his visit in view of the "hostile" situation expected.
They also said that since Congress leaders from Telangana would attend a "thanks giving meet" in Adilabad tomorrow to celebrate announcement of a separate Telangana state, they would not be available for the AP CM`s visit.
After this development, the CM decided to cancel his programme, sources in the Chief Minister`s Office said.
The Sangareddy mass contact initiative was organised by local MLA and government whip T Jayaprakash Reddy, though the Telangana Tashtra Samiti (TRS) had openly threatened to thwart the programme.
Deputy CM Rajanarasimha, who also hails from Medak, asked all Congress leaders, including MP Suresh Shetkar, to boycott the AP Chief Minister`s programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17