Andhra Pradesh CM presses for early decision on Telangana
New Delhi: With an eye on the 2014 elections, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has asked the Centre and the Congress to take an "early decision" on the "sensitive and delicate" issue of Telangana statehood demand.
Kiran told Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi during his interaction with Chief Ministers, PCC chiefs and CLP leaders that the state government and Andhra Pradesh Congress want a decision to be taken soon.
"We requested the central leadership and the party leadership for a early decision on the issue of Telangana. The issue of Telangana needs time. It is a sensitive and delicate issue and the central leadership is looking at it," he told a press conference here.
He did not answer questions on what was Gandhi’s response to the demands made by him and PCC chief Botcha Satyanarayana.
The Chief Minister had last week told Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that an early decision on Telangana was needed.
Asked whether the Telangana issue would be put on backburner till the elections, Reddy avoided a direct reply by merely saying the Congress High Command and Centre are looking at it.
He said the Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Maharashtra also raised the Telangana issue during the meeting. However, he did not elaborate.
On the meeting with Gandhi, he said issues like strengthening the party, reaching out to youth and incentives to party cadres were discussed.
Asked whether Rahul Gandhi should be projected as the party’s Prime Ministerial candidate, he said the Congress Vice-President had himself said that the party would decide on its role.
Pressed for his personal opinion, he said the Andhra Pradesh Congress would try to send maximum number of MPs in the 2014 elections so that Rahul Gandhi gets the top job.
He also said Rahul Gandhi would soon visit Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok