Andhra Pradesh CM presses for early decision on Telangana
New Delhi: With an eye on the 2014 elections, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has asked the Centre and the Congress to take an "early decision" on the "sensitive and delicate" issue of Telangana statehood demand.
Kiran told Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi during his interaction with Chief Ministers, PCC chiefs and CLP leaders that the state government and Andhra Pradesh Congress want a decision to be taken soon.
"We requested the central leadership and the party leadership for a early decision on the issue of Telangana. The issue of Telangana needs time. It is a sensitive and delicate issue and the central leadership is looking at it," he told a press conference here.
He did not answer questions on what was Gandhi’s response to the demands made by him and PCC chief Botcha Satyanarayana.
The Chief Minister had last week told Congress Chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that an early decision on Telangana was needed.
Asked whether the Telangana issue would be put on backburner till the elections, Reddy avoided a direct reply by merely saying the Congress High Command and Centre are looking at it.
He said the Chief Ministers of West Bengal and Maharashtra also raised the Telangana issue during the meeting. However, he did not elaborate.
On the meeting with Gandhi, he said issues like strengthening the party, reaching out to youth and incentives to party cadres were discussed.
Asked whether Rahul Gandhi should be projected as the party’s Prime Ministerial candidate, he said the Congress Vice-President had himself said that the party would decide on its role.
Pressed for his personal opinion, he said the Andhra Pradesh Congress would try to send maximum number of MPs in the 2014 elections so that Rahul Gandhi gets the top job.
He also said Rahul Gandhi would soon visit Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen