Andhra Pradesh: Elderly man branded as sorcerer, beaten to death
Hyderabad: An elderly man was on Friday beaten
to death by a group of people including his relatives for
allegedly practising black magic in Mahabubnagar district of
Andhra Pradesh, police said.
The incident took place around 1100 hours at Chennaram
village in Balmuru mandal of the district when a group of
people including relatives and members of the community
thrashed G Niranjan (60), an agricultural labourer, resulting
in his death, they said.
"They (group) suspected that Niranjan was practising
black magic after one of his relatives died in the village a
month ago," a police officer told PTI.
No one has been arrested in connection with the case so
far, as investigations were still on. Police have registered a
case of murder.
In a similar incident, two senior citizens-- Yellaiah
(65) and Narasimha (70)-- were burnt alive allegedly by
villagers, mostly women, who accused the duo of practising
"sorcery" at Khairtapuram village in Nalgonda district of
Andhra Pradesh on September 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing