Andhra Pradesh: Elderly man branded as sorcerer, beaten to death
Hyderabad: An elderly man was on Friday beaten
to death by a group of people including his relatives for
allegedly practising black magic in Mahabubnagar district of
Andhra Pradesh, police said.
The incident took place around 1100 hours at Chennaram
village in Balmuru mandal of the district when a group of
people including relatives and members of the community
thrashed G Niranjan (60), an agricultural labourer, resulting
in his death, they said.
"They (group) suspected that Niranjan was practising
black magic after one of his relatives died in the village a
month ago," a police officer told PTI.
No one has been arrested in connection with the case so
far, as investigations were still on. Police have registered a
case of murder.
In a similar incident, two senior citizens-- Yellaiah
(65) and Narasimha (70)-- were burnt alive allegedly by
villagers, mostly women, who accused the duo of practising
"sorcery" at Khairtapuram village in Nalgonda district of
Andhra Pradesh on September 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say