Andhra Pradesh: Elderly man branded as sorcerer, beaten to death
Hyderabad: An elderly man was on Friday beaten
to death by a group of people including his relatives for
allegedly practising black magic in Mahabubnagar district of
Andhra Pradesh, police said.
The incident took place around 1100 hours at Chennaram
village in Balmuru mandal of the district when a group of
people including relatives and members of the community
thrashed G Niranjan (60), an agricultural labourer, resulting
in his death, they said.
"They (group) suspected that Niranjan was practising
black magic after one of his relatives died in the village a
month ago," a police officer told PTI.
No one has been arrested in connection with the case so
far, as investigations were still on. Police have registered a
case of murder.
In a similar incident, two senior citizens-- Yellaiah
(65) and Narasimha (70)-- were burnt alive allegedly by
villagers, mostly women, who accused the duo of practising
"sorcery" at Khairtapuram village in Nalgonda district of
Andhra Pradesh on September 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon