Andhra Pradesh: Elderly man branded as sorcerer, beaten to death
Hyderabad: An elderly man was on Friday beaten
to death by a group of people including his relatives for
allegedly practising black magic in Mahabubnagar district of
Andhra Pradesh, police said.
The incident took place around 1100 hours at Chennaram
village in Balmuru mandal of the district when a group of
people including relatives and members of the community
thrashed G Niranjan (60), an agricultural labourer, resulting
in his death, they said.
"They (group) suspected that Niranjan was practising
black magic after one of his relatives died in the village a
month ago," a police officer told PTI.
No one has been arrested in connection with the case so
far, as investigations were still on. Police have registered a
case of murder.
In a similar incident, two senior citizens-- Yellaiah
(65) and Narasimha (70)-- were burnt alive allegedly by
villagers, mostly women, who accused the duo of practising
"sorcery" at Khairtapuram village in Nalgonda district of
Andhra Pradesh on September 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP