Andhra Pradesh floods: CM tours rain-hit areas; death toll mounts to 53
Hyderabad: Torrential rains and resultant deluge in 16 districts of Andhra Pradesh last week left 53 persons dead and caused a loss of Rs 3,756 crore, but the situation is returning to normal with floodwater receding.
Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy toured flood-hit areas in Prakasam and Guntur districts today and announced that the Government would pay input subsidy at the rate of Rs 10,000 per hectare to farmers who lost their crops.
Permanent houses would be built under Indira Aawas Yojana for the families whose houses were destroyed in heavy rains and floods, he said.
Heavy rains and floods left a trail of destruction in 5,186 villages in 16 districts with West Godavari, Srikakulam, Visakhapatnam, Krishna in coastal Andhra and Mahbubnagar and Nalgonda in Telangana suffering the most.
Guntur and Prakasam districts accounted for the maximum number of deaths (eight each), followed by Nalgonda (7), Mahbubnagar (6) and West Godavari (4), among others.
Half a dozen persons were reported missing from Visakhapatnam, West Godavari, Krishna and Karimnagar districts, according to a release from the Chief Minister`s Office.
As per preliminary estimates, the rains and floods caused a loss of Rs 3,756 crore. Over 42,000 houses were damaged, while over 2.20 lakh persons have been moved to 384 relief camps, it said.
Crops in 11.37 lakh hectares, including cotton (5.97 lakh ha) and paddy (4.72 lakh ha), were damaged. Aquaculture suffered heavy loss with ponds in 184 hectares damaged due to floods. Handloom sector, too, was badly hit as pits were flooded in many districts, the release said.
While 19 teams of National Disaster Response Force were taking part in relief operations in the rain-ravaged districts, eight teams of Navy personnel were deployed in Visakhapatnam to assist the district administration in relief measures, the release added.
According to reports received here, flood water has started receding in affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan