Andhra Pradesh govt to waive farm loans of up to Rs1.5 lakh per family
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Government on Monday announced it would waive farm loans of up to Rs 1.5 lakh per family, a move that is likely to impose a financial burden of Rs 35,000 crore on the cash-starved state exchequer.
"This is a `daring` decision taken by our Government for the welfare of distressed farmers in the state. We are financially in dire straits but we will honour our commitment by any means," Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu said at the end of the Cabinet meeting here this evening.
In addition, the Government has decided to write-off loans amounting to Rs 7,600 crore given to women self-help groups (SHG). Another Rs 300 crore loans given to weavers, Scheduled Castes and other small artisans, too, would be waived, he said.
Cut-off date for the loan waiver would be March 31, 2014.
An expert committee headed by Nabard ex-Chairman P Kotaiah submitted its report to Naidu today suggesting a limit of Rs 1 lakh per family but the Cabinet decided to enhance the cap to Rs 1.5 lakh. This (hike in cap) is likely to increase the financial burden by Rs 8,000 crore on the state.
"This will include crop loans taken on gold as well. The SHG loans are exclusive," the Chief Minister clarified.
The TDP-led Government would intensify its economic activity to mop up resources to fulfil the commitment which was made ahead of the Assembly polls, he said.
"We will constitute a committee to suggest ways for mobilisation of funds. We plan to create a farmers` welfare cess in revenue-generating departments to pool up resources. We will also mobilise income from mining activity and create an escrow account for securitisation of funds," the CM said.
The Government would also dispose red sanders, which has huge demand in global market, and generate additional funds. The Government has told the RBI that it would repay the amount (to banks) in 6-7 years upon implementing the loan waiver but the central bank has not responded yet, Naidu said.
Even on rescheduling of farm loans related to the last agriculture season, the RBI was yet to reply to the State`s plea, the Chief Minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?