Andhra Pradesh: Heat wave claims 28 lives in East Godavari district
Rajahmundry: As many as 28 people have died in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh so far due to intense heat wave conditions prevailing in the state.
"Out of 28 deaths, 12 deaths are reported from Peddapuram, 10 from Amalapuram division and six deaths from various divisions of the district since June 11," a government release quoted District Collector Neetu Prasad as saying.
She said 26 of the victims are above 60 years.
"The government will pay a compensation of Rs one lakh to the deceased persons and we have informed National Disaster Management Commissioner regarding the deaths," the Collector said, adding that process of awarding compensation will begin after post mortems are conducted.
She said that 137 relief camps have been set up in the district to provide drinking water, ORS packets to people and the district administration has distributed pamphlets to general public informing them about the precautions needed to be taken in view of the heat wave.
According to officials in Hyderabad, the heat wave in Andhra Pradesh has claimed as many as 169 lives so far, in different districts with a maximum 45 deaths being reported from Vizianagaram district, followed by East Godavari and Krishna district (22).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31