Andhra Pradesh: Jagan`s sister to lead padyatra
Hyderabad: YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy`s sister Sharmila will undertake a padyatra from October 18 to highlight the "failures" of ruling Congress and main Opposition TDP.
The proposed yatra will commence from the family`s Idupulapaya Estate in Kadapa district and cover an estimated 3,000 kms across Andhra Pradesh before culminating at Icchapuram in Srikakulam district, party`s president and Jagan`s mother YS Vijayamma told reporters here today.
The political affairs committee (PAC) of YSR Congress Party met today and finalised that Sharmila will lead the padyatra and continue it till Jagan (presently in jail in connection with alleged disproportionate assets case) comes out on bail and takes over the yatra, she said.
"In view of my arthritis problem, party leaders advised me not to take up the yatra and hence, it was decided that Sharmila will lead it and continue the `Praja Prasthanam` launched by YSR through this padyatra," Vijayamma said.
"In fact, we were anticipating that Jagan will lead the padyatra, but that did not happen in view of cancellation of his bail (by the Supreme Court)," she said.
A meeting of the central governing council (CGC), central executive council (CEC), MPs and MLAs of YSR Congress, after reviewing the affairs in the state, had yesterday resolved that the party should undertake a mass contact programme.
The meeting had also condemned the "nexus" between Congress and main opposition TDP in targeting Jagan.
The padyatra, covering all the three regions of Andhra Pradesh, will be on the lines of YSR`s` Praja Prasthanam` which "turned a new leaf in the polity of the state", Vijayamma said after the PAC meeting, which prepared the roadmap that was approved by Jagan.
"In course of the padyatra, we will create a public opinion forcing the main opposition TDP to move a no-confidence motion against the ruling Congress for taxing the common man indiscriminately and going to the extent of collecting power dues in retrospective effect," she asserted.
Accusing the TDP of remaining silent on all these issues including fees reimbursement scheme and poor power supply to farmers, the YSR Congress leader sought to know "why TDP is not playing its role of the Opposition Party".
"These are among the questions we will be raising during the padyatra. Our programme will aim at raising public opinion against the insensitive state government and equally numb Opposition TDP and force a no-confidence motion at the earliest," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25