Andhra Pradesh to seek Rs 1,000-crore World Bank aid
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government has decided to seek financial assistance of Rs 1,000 crore from the World Bank for reconstruction works in cyclone-devastated districts of the state.
The state cabinet met here today and approved a proposal in this regard, according to Information and Public Relations Minister D K Aruna.
Briefing newspersons after the cabinet meet, she said consecutive cyclones in 2009-10 left a trail of destruction in the coastal districts and also other parts of the state.
"We have decided to approach the World Bank for a financial assistance of Rs 1,000 crore to take up reconstruction works in these districts," Aruna said.
The cabinet also cleared a proposal for expansion of existing Gannavaram airport at Vijayawada at a total cost of Rs 280 crore. About 492 acres of land, including 433 acres belonging to private persons, have to be acquired for the purpose at a cost of Rs 111 crore.
Another Rs 170 crore would be spent on construction of airport terminal building, Air Traffic Control tower and other facilities.
The AP government had entered into a memorandum of understanding with the Airports Authority of India for expansion of Vijayawada airport way back in December 2007 but land acquisition problems delayed the project all these years.
The cabinet also cleared a proposal for setting up of three leather parks at Kantepalli (Karimnagar district, 40 acres), Ghanpur (Warangal, 25 acres) and Jinkunta (Mahbubnagar, 25 acres).
Two Industrial Parks will be set up at Jayantipuram in Krishna district (498 acres) and Sirasambedu in Nellore district (176 acres), for which the cabinet approved the land allotment.
In another decision, the cabinet approved a proposal for selling 58 acres of land at Rs 5 lakh an acre for setting up of the National Ocean Technology Research Institute at Chittedu village in Nellore district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest