Andhra PSC member arrested
Hyderabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has arrested Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) member K. Ripunjaya Reddy after raids on his house and that of his friends and relatives led to unearthing of disproportionate assets worth Rs.4 crore, officials said Thursday.
The anti-graft agency picked up Ripunjaya late Wednesday, making him the first APPSC member to have been arrested for amassing alleged illegal assets. He will be produced before the court dealing with ACB cases Thursday.
The arrest of the APPSC member followed day-long raids on his residence and that of his close friend K. Suryanarayana Reddy alias Sureedu, and relatives, officials said.
Both Ripunajaya and Sureedu were close aides of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy alias YSR. Ripunjaya was YSR`s personal assistant from 2004 to 2008. He was appointed APPSC member, a constitutional post, in 2008.
Sureedu served as YSR`s personal aide till the latter`s death in a helicopter crash in 2009.
ACB officials conducted simultaneous raids on the properties of Sureedu, Ripunjay and their relatives in Hyderabad and Kadapa.
The raids on Sureedu`s house were conducted on the suspicion that Ripunjaya owns assets in the name of his close friend. Sureedu, considered YSR`s `Man Friday,` was away in Kadapa at the time of the raids. The ACB has not ruled out questioning him in the case.
The ACB launched a crackdown on the APPSC member after allegations that he amassed illegal assets worth over Rs.100 crore.
ACB officials said the raids yielded unearthing of assets worth Rs.4 crore in the name of Ripunjaya and his family members. They include 63 `tolas` of gold, two cars, houses, apartments and lands in and around Hyderabad, Tirupati, Kadapa and other places.
Sureedu initially turned a witness against YSR`s son Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy in an illegal assets case but later refused to record his statement before a magistrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day