Andhra PSC member arrested
Hyderabad: The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) has arrested Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission (APPSC) member K. Ripunjaya Reddy after raids on his house and that of his friends and relatives led to unearthing of disproportionate assets worth Rs.4 crore, officials said Thursday.
The anti-graft agency picked up Ripunjaya late Wednesday, making him the first APPSC member to have been arrested for amassing alleged illegal assets. He will be produced before the court dealing with ACB cases Thursday.
The arrest of the APPSC member followed day-long raids on his residence and that of his close friend K. Suryanarayana Reddy alias Sureedu, and relatives, officials said.
Both Ripunajaya and Sureedu were close aides of late chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy alias YSR. Ripunjaya was YSR`s personal assistant from 2004 to 2008. He was appointed APPSC member, a constitutional post, in 2008.
Sureedu served as YSR`s personal aide till the latter`s death in a helicopter crash in 2009.
ACB officials conducted simultaneous raids on the properties of Sureedu, Ripunjay and their relatives in Hyderabad and Kadapa.
The raids on Sureedu`s house were conducted on the suspicion that Ripunjaya owns assets in the name of his close friend. Sureedu, considered YSR`s `Man Friday,` was away in Kadapa at the time of the raids. The ACB has not ruled out questioning him in the case.
The ACB launched a crackdown on the APPSC member after allegations that he amassed illegal assets worth over Rs.100 crore.
ACB officials said the raids yielded unearthing of assets worth Rs.4 crore in the name of Ripunjaya and his family members. They include 63 `tolas` of gold, two cars, houses, apartments and lands in and around Hyderabad, Tirupati, Kadapa and other places.
Sureedu initially turned a witness against YSR`s son Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy in an illegal assets case but later refused to record his statement before a magistrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’