Andhra soldier killed in Uttarakhand crash cremated
Hyderabad: The last rites of an Army soldier, who was killed in a helicopter crash during rescue operation in Uttarakhand, were performed with state honours in his native village in Andhra Pradesh`s Chittoor district.
G. Vinayakam was cremated Wednesday evening in Chinna Bandapalle village near Chittoor town and about 600 km from here.
Serving in National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Vinayakam was among 20 personnel killed in the crash during the rescue operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand June 25.
Chittoor MP N. Sivaprasad, Collector Solomon Arokiaraj, Superintendent of Police Kanthi Rana Tata and army officials attended the funeral.
Vinayakam`s body was brought to his native village Tuesday. The officials handed over a cheque of Rs.5 lakh to the family of the soldier towards the ex-gratia announced by the state government.
The government has also announced a house site and a job to a member the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video