Andhra soldier killed in Uttarakhand crash cremated
Hyderabad: The last rites of an Army soldier, who was killed in a helicopter crash during rescue operation in Uttarakhand, were performed with state honours in his native village in Andhra Pradesh`s Chittoor district.
G. Vinayakam was cremated Wednesday evening in Chinna Bandapalle village near Chittoor town and about 600 km from here.
Serving in National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Vinayakam was among 20 personnel killed in the crash during the rescue operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand June 25.
Chittoor MP N. Sivaprasad, Collector Solomon Arokiaraj, Superintendent of Police Kanthi Rana Tata and army officials attended the funeral.
Vinayakam`s body was brought to his native village Tuesday. The officials handed over a cheque of Rs.5 lakh to the family of the soldier towards the ex-gratia announced by the state government.
The government has also announced a house site and a job to a member the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal