Andhra soldier killed in Uttarakhand crash cremated
Hyderabad: The last rites of an Army soldier, who was killed in a helicopter crash during rescue operation in Uttarakhand, were performed with state honours in his native village in Andhra Pradesh`s Chittoor district.
G. Vinayakam was cremated Wednesday evening in Chinna Bandapalle village near Chittoor town and about 600 km from here.
Serving in National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Vinayakam was among 20 personnel killed in the crash during the rescue operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand June 25.
Chittoor MP N. Sivaprasad, Collector Solomon Arokiaraj, Superintendent of Police Kanthi Rana Tata and army officials attended the funeral.
Vinayakam`s body was brought to his native village Tuesday. The officials handed over a cheque of Rs.5 lakh to the family of the soldier towards the ex-gratia announced by the state government.
The government has also announced a house site and a job to a member the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- ICC World T20: Pakistan announce 15-man squad; Shahid Afridi to lead, Ahmed Shehzad dropped
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming