Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists
Hyderabad: Ending the long suspense, the Andhra Pradesh Assembly speaker on Friday disqualified 16 rebel lawmakers belonging to the ruling Congress party who were loyal to YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
The speaker has also accepted the resignation of another Jagan loyalist Shoba Nagi Reddy of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP).
A statement about the disqualification was released from the office of Speaker Nandendla Manohar on Friday night.
Congress had sought the disqualification of the legislators for violating the party whip and voting in favour of opposition Telugu Desam Party`s no-confidence motion against the government in the assembly last December.
With the speaker`s move, 17 seats in 294-member house have fallen vacant. The election commission will now initiate the process to fill the vacancies by holding by-elections within six months.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way