Andhra speaker disqualifies 16 Jagan loyalists
Hyderabad: Ending the long suspense, the Andhra Pradesh Assembly speaker on Friday disqualified 16 rebel lawmakers belonging to the ruling Congress party who were loyal to YS Jaganmohan Reddy.
The speaker has also accepted the resignation of another Jagan loyalist Shoba Nagi Reddy of Praja Rajyam Party (PRP).
A statement about the disqualification was released from the office of Speaker Nandendla Manohar on Friday night.
Congress had sought the disqualification of the legislators for violating the party whip and voting in favour of opposition Telugu Desam Party`s no-confidence motion against the government in the assembly last December.
With the speaker`s move, 17 seats in 294-member house have fallen vacant. The election commission will now initiate the process to fill the vacancies by holding by-elections within six months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Sanam Teri Kasam movie review: Intense and emotional