Another Congress legislator joins YSR Congress
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress party in Andhra Pradesh Thursday received another jolt with one of its legislators switching loyalties to the YSR Congress.
Perni Venkateshwara Rao, popularly known as Perni Nani, called on YSR Congress leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy at the Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
He later announced he had resigned both as the government whip and as assembly member.
Nani, who represented Machilipatnam constituency, said he was a fan of Jaganmohan Reddy. Talking to reporters, he alleged that the government was targeting the YSR party leader.
With Nani`s resignation, the Congress strength has been reduced to 148 in the 294-member assembly.
Nani`s resignation came a few days after Dwarampudi Chandrasekhar Reddy joined the YSR Congress.
The Congress legislator from Kakinada, however, said he would not quit his assembly membership and would vote against the government if a no-confidence motion was tabled in the house.
About 10 legislators from both the Congress and TDP have crossed over to the YSR Congress since by-elections in June last year. The fledgling party had bagged 15 assembly seats and the Nellore Lok Sabha seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police