Another Congress legislator joins YSR Congress
Hyderabad: The ruling Congress party in Andhra Pradesh Thursday received another jolt with one of its legislators switching loyalties to the YSR Congress.
Perni Venkateshwara Rao, popularly known as Perni Nani, called on YSR Congress leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy at the Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
He later announced he had resigned both as the government whip and as assembly member.
Nani, who represented Machilipatnam constituency, said he was a fan of Jaganmohan Reddy. Talking to reporters, he alleged that the government was targeting the YSR party leader.
With Nani`s resignation, the Congress strength has been reduced to 148 in the 294-member assembly.
Nani`s resignation came a few days after Dwarampudi Chandrasekhar Reddy joined the YSR Congress.
The Congress legislator from Kakinada, however, said he would not quit his assembly membership and would vote against the government if a no-confidence motion was tabled in the house.
About 10 legislators from both the Congress and TDP have crossed over to the YSR Congress since by-elections in June last year. The fledgling party had bagged 15 assembly seats and the Nellore Lok Sabha seat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended