Another shutdown in Telangana today
Hyderabad: The TRS has called a bandh in Telangana on Tuesday to demand immediate action from the Centre on creating a separate state carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
The shutdown call came after one more person died yesterday and another was battling burn injuries after he attempted to immolate himself for separate statehood to Telangana.
Two days after an MBA student committed suicide in Warangal, an autorickshaw driver immolated himself in Hanamkonda town in the same district. Rajmouli, who doused himself with kerosene in a public park and immolated himself, left behind a suicide note saying he was taking his life due to the delay in formation of a separate Telangana state.
In another incident, a youth tried to immolate himself at Wanaparthy town in Mahabubnagar district yesterday. BR Goud torched himself at a busy cross-road in the town and was shifted to hospital.
The Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) had yesterday stalled the state Assembly and also raised the issue in Parliament.
The party has exempted state-owned Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) buses and ongoing examinations from the shutdown in the region, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders from Telangana, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and the Osmania University Joint Action Committee (JAC) have supported the shutdown call.
Telangana groups claim that over 600 people, mostly students, have committed suicide for the cause of Telangana during last two years.
With the shutdown call, the region may witness another round of protests for a separate state. Frequent shutdowns, rail and road blockades and 42-day-long strike by government employees, coal and transport workers had crippled the administration in the region and caused huge losses to the business and industry during August-September last year.
The suicides come close on the heels of by-election results in Telangana, which demonstrated that the sentiment for a separate state is still strong. Of six Assembly seats, TRS bagged four seats and BJP one. An independent fighting for the separate state was also elected.
MBA student Bhojya Naik had committed suicide in Warangal town on Saturday. A shutdown was observed in Warangal district on Sunday.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore