Anti-Telangana protests continue in AP for seventh day
Hyderabad: Anti-Telangana protests continued in Rayalaseema and coastal Andhra regions of Andhra Pradesh for the seventh consecutive day on Tuesday even as mild tension prevailed at two government offices here over the separate Telangana statehood issue.
Supporters of "united" Andhra Pradesh, including students and members of different organisations took to the streets, continuing with protests, rallies as well as road blockades, besides organising other agitations in `Seemandhra` (comprising both Rayalaseema as well as non-Telangana) districts and Hyderabad.
"Protests, rallies as well as demonstrations are on, but the situation is under control and peaceful," IGP (Law and Order) Harish Kumar Gupta said.
Timely intervention by the police prevented a possible clash between employees from Seemandhra region and employees from Telangana region at Jala Soudha and Vidyuth Soudha here.
Mild tension prevailed at Jala Soudha in Erramanzil area when Seemandhra region employees held a protest for a "united" Andhra Pradesh, even as pro-Telangana employees began a counter protest.
Both sides raised slogans in favour and against the move to create a Telangana state and were seen jostling each other after heated arguments.
However, the police immediately intervened and dispersed both groups who almost came to blows, without having to take anybody into custody, a police officer said.
Similarly, the police immediately intervened and managed to bring the situation under control when pro-Telangana employees raised slogans after a Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader P Keshav reached the Vidyuth Soudha to express his solidarity with pro-Seemandhra employees who were staging their own anti-Telangana protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof