AP: 4,000 people shifted to safer places from flooded areas
Rajahmundry: Over 4,000 people have been shifted to 23 relief camps in East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh after water flooded houses in the area following heavy rains.
According to District Collector Neetu Kumari Prasad, it will take another 2-3 days for the water to recede from the inundated areas.
However, water level of Godavari river at Dowleswaram barrage has lowered to 16.1 feet, Dowleswaram Superintendent Engineer (Irrigation Circle) D Kasi Visveswara Rao said.
As per preliminary reports, 1651 hectares of horticulture, 243 hectares paddy and 25 hectares of cotton crops were affected due to the floods.
The Collector said that flooding has caused Rs 17.70 lakh worth of damage to houses (completely or partially) in the area and killed several cattle worth Rs 2.17 lakh.
Rescue teams have shifted 4,251 people to relief camps and safer places. Besides, 40 national disaster response force (NDRF) members and 154 boats have been kept ready in the district, she added.
"About 27 medical camps have been set up to provide medical assistance and prevent rain diseases in the relief areas. Also, we are sending another batch of 56 medical teams to various parts of the district," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan