AP Assembly adjourned twice amid din over farmer woes
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly was adjourned twice this morning as main Opposition Telugu Desam Party MLAs stalled the proceedings demanding immediate announcement of a slew of measures by the government to bail out farmers in distress.
The TDP members stormed the Speaker`s podium holding
placards and raising slogans denouncing the alleged
"anti-farmer" attitude of the Congress government.
They demanded that the government enhance input subsidy
to Rs 10,000 per acre to farmers whose crops were damaged in
untimely heavy rains last year.
They also wanted the government agencies to immediately
procure all the damaged paddy available with farmers and also
pay a bonus of Rs 200 over and above the minimum support
Officiating Speaker Nadendla Manohar appealed to the TDP
members to let the House take up the Question Hour.
As the TDP MLAs continued with their protest, the
officiating Speaker adjourned the proceedings for 30 minutes
initially. The same din continued even after the House
re-assembled as the TDP members remained in the well.
Finance Minister Aanam Ramanarayana Reddy appealed to the
agitated members to allow the Question Hour as several
important issues of public concern were listed for discussion.
He said the government was ready for a debate on any
subject raised by the opposition parties if the Speaker
The officiating Speaker too reiterated his appeal to the
TDP MLAs but, as they remained unrelenting, he adjourned the
House for 15 minutes for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!