AP Assembly adjourned twice amid din over farmer woes
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly was adjourned twice this morning as main Opposition Telugu Desam Party MLAs stalled the proceedings demanding immediate announcement of a slew of measures by the government to bail out farmers in distress.
The TDP members stormed the Speaker`s podium holding
placards and raising slogans denouncing the alleged
"anti-farmer" attitude of the Congress government.
They demanded that the government enhance input subsidy
to Rs 10,000 per acre to farmers whose crops were damaged in
untimely heavy rains last year.
They also wanted the government agencies to immediately
procure all the damaged paddy available with farmers and also
pay a bonus of Rs 200 over and above the minimum support
Officiating Speaker Nadendla Manohar appealed to the TDP
members to let the House take up the Question Hour.
As the TDP MLAs continued with their protest, the
officiating Speaker adjourned the proceedings for 30 minutes
initially. The same din continued even after the House
re-assembled as the TDP members remained in the well.
Finance Minister Aanam Ramanarayana Reddy appealed to the
agitated members to allow the Question Hour as several
important issues of public concern were listed for discussion.
He said the government was ready for a debate on any
subject raised by the opposition parties if the Speaker
The officiating Speaker too reiterated his appeal to the
TDP MLAs but, as they remained unrelenting, he adjourned the
House for 15 minutes for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy