AP Assembly passes SC/ST Sub-Plan Act
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly late Sunday night passed the Andhra Pradesh Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan (Planning, Allocation and Utilisation of Financial Resources) Act, 2012 amidst high drama over voting on an amendment proposed by the main opposition Telugu Desam Party.
The Congress government faced tense moments after the division of votes was taken but the result withheld due to an objection raised by Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy.
All the opposition put up a united show on the amendment seeking allocation of funds by classifying SCs into different sub groups.
The chief minister, who too took part in the voting, pointed out the Supreme Court had struck down the classification of SCs into sub-groups and said no fresh law could be passed in any form on the issue.
"It is ultra vires to Article 341 and Article 14 of the Constitution," the chief minister pointed out.
The Speaker, who did not announce the result of voting on the amendment, then sought opinion of floor leaders on the issue and later declared that the amendment was lost with only 47 votes in favour and 69 against.
The treasury benches then heaved a sigh of relief and the Bill was subsequently passed.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Will shoot policemen if they continue to harass BJP workers, warns BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Brazil court scraps suspension of WhatsApp
- Emaar MGF defends Rahul Gandhi, says allegations levelled by BJP MP are baseless
- Gold price slides by Rs 150 to Rs 30,100 per 10 grams
- SHOCKING! Twitterati abuse Pakistani girl, ask her 'hourly rates' as she wrote blog on 'sex as young woman'