AP Assembly passes SC/ST Sub-Plan Act
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh Assembly late Sunday night passed the Andhra Pradesh Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan (Planning, Allocation and Utilisation of Financial Resources) Act, 2012 amidst high drama over voting on an amendment proposed by the main opposition Telugu Desam Party.
The Congress government faced tense moments after the division of votes was taken but the result withheld due to an objection raised by Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy.
All the opposition put up a united show on the amendment seeking allocation of funds by classifying SCs into different sub groups.
The chief minister, who too took part in the voting, pointed out the Supreme Court had struck down the classification of SCs into sub-groups and said no fresh law could be passed in any form on the issue.
"It is ultra vires to Article 341 and Article 14 of the Constitution," the chief minister pointed out.
The Speaker, who did not announce the result of voting on the amendment, then sought opinion of floor leaders on the issue and later declared that the amendment was lost with only 47 votes in favour and 69 against.
The treasury benches then heaved a sigh of relief and the Bill was subsequently passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing