AP assembly session begins, TRS relents after initial protests
Hyderabad: The winter session of the Andhra
Pradesh Assembly began here today amid renewed agitation for
separate Telangana and the TRS members obstructing the
proceedings demanding that the house first take up the
As TRS MLAs Ravinder Reddy, Vidyasagar and others
sought a debate on the issue, Speaker urged them to be seated
as the house was to take up condolence motion on the death of
former Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy.
Senior Congress MLA and former Home Minister K Jana
Reddy was also seen persuading the TRS members, who relented
Condoling the death of Rajasekhara Reddy, Chief Minister
K Rosaiah said development schemes were taken up on an
unprecedented scale by the late Chief Minister.
"The Rs 2 rice scheme, Arogya Sri health insurance
scheme, `Jalayagnam` projects (irrigation mission) are a
testimony to his commitment to serve the poor," Rosaiah said.
Opposition Leader N Chandrababu Naidu said he and
Rajasekhara Reddy started their political careers in the same
year and served as ministers in the same Cabinet of T Anjaiah.
The TDP opposed Reddy only on public issues and there
was nothing personal in it, he said.
Hailing the leadership qualities of Reddy, Praja Rajyam
president Chiranjeevi said he tried to learn from the former
Speaking on the motion, former minister K Surekha broke
down recalling her association with late Rajasekhara Reddy
who, she said, stood by her when she faced trying situations
in her political career.
Surekha, who quit as minister after persistently
demanding for installation of Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy as Chief
Minister, said Rajasekhara Reddy`s promises to hike the
quantity of Rs 2 a kg rice and the duration of free power
remains to be implemented yet.
Home Minister P Sabita Reddy also had tears in her eyes
recalling how she came to be known as a sister of Rajasekhara
Panchayat Raj Minister B Satyanarayana also turned
emotional as he talked about late Rajasekhara Reddy.
Legislators of CPI, TRS, Majlis Ittehadul Muslimeen
(MIM), Lok Satta and several ministers also spoke on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal