AP bifurcation: Bandh in Vizag district today
Visakhapatnam: Educational institutions and commercial establishments remained shut today in response to the bandh call given by various Joint Action Committees (JAC) groups protesting against the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
Schools, colleges, hotels, shopping malls, theatres remained closed and the transportation systems were hit as nearly 16,000 autorickshaws in the city and the in the district remained off the roads, sources said.
Most of the educational institutions have already been shut over the past one month in support of the Samaikyandhra cause. The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APRTC) buses have been off the roads since August 13 as all the employees and workers have joined in the Seemandhra strike, sources said.
Security has been beefed up in the district in view of the bandh, police said adding that no untoward incident has been reported so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'