AP bifurcation: Bandh in Vizag district today
Visakhapatnam: Educational institutions and commercial establishments remained shut today in response to the bandh call given by various Joint Action Committees (JAC) groups protesting against the decision to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.
Schools, colleges, hotels, shopping malls, theatres remained closed and the transportation systems were hit as nearly 16,000 autorickshaws in the city and the in the district remained off the roads, sources said.
Most of the educational institutions have already been shut over the past one month in support of the Samaikyandhra cause. The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APRTC) buses have been off the roads since August 13 as all the employees and workers have joined in the Seemandhra strike, sources said.
Security has been beefed up in the district in view of the bandh, police said adding that no untoward incident has been reported so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you