AP bifurcation: YRSC MLAs stage walk out from Assembly
Hyderabad: YSR Congress MLAs staged a walk out from the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly Friday protesting the manner in which the state is sought to be divided against majority opinion.
After disrupting the proceedings of the House as soon as its sitting began this morning, and forcing an adjournment for half an hour, the YSRC announced it would register its protest and stage a walk out when it reassembled.
"We protest the manner in which the Centre is seeking to divide the state despite majority of people opposing it. We also protest the non-consideration of the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on the bifurcation issue," YSRC floor leader Y S Vijaya said.
She also protested non-adoption of a resolution by the Assembly opposing the bifurcation.
She sought an assurance from Leader of the House N Kiran Kumar Reddy that voting would be taken up against the draft AP Reorganisation Bill-2013.
"The Bill did not even contain the statement of objects and reasons. Our party has its fears and doubts on the Bill," Vijaya added.
The 20-odd YSRC members then walked out of the House for the day.
Telugu Desam Legislature Party deputy leader P Ashok Gajapati Raju then sought a clarification from Speaker Nadendla Manohar on whether or not voting would be taken up on the Bill.
A division (vote) would have to be certainly carried out even if one member sought it, he pointed out.
"We have all discussed this in the Business Advisory Committee. After everyone participates in the discussion and expresses views, we will definitely respect them. But seeking a vote without a discussion is not justified," the Speaker replied.
The House then continued with the debate on the draft Bill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed