AP bifurcation: YRSC MLAs stage walk out from Assembly
Hyderabad: YSR Congress MLAs staged a walk out from the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly Friday protesting the manner in which the state is sought to be divided against majority opinion.
After disrupting the proceedings of the House as soon as its sitting began this morning, and forcing an adjournment for half an hour, the YSRC announced it would register its protest and stage a walk out when it reassembled.
"We protest the manner in which the Centre is seeking to divide the state despite majority of people opposing it. We also protest the non-consideration of the Justice Srikrishna Committee report on the bifurcation issue," YSRC floor leader Y S Vijaya said.
She also protested non-adoption of a resolution by the Assembly opposing the bifurcation.
She sought an assurance from Leader of the House N Kiran Kumar Reddy that voting would be taken up against the draft AP Reorganisation Bill-2013.
"The Bill did not even contain the statement of objects and reasons. Our party has its fears and doubts on the Bill," Vijaya added.
The 20-odd YSRC members then walked out of the House for the day.
Telugu Desam Legislature Party deputy leader P Ashok Gajapati Raju then sought a clarification from Speaker Nadendla Manohar on whether or not voting would be taken up on the Bill.
A division (vote) would have to be certainly carried out even if one member sought it, he pointed out.
"We have all discussed this in the Business Advisory Committee. After everyone participates in the discussion and expresses views, we will definitely respect them. But seeking a vote without a discussion is not justified," the Speaker replied.
The House then continued with the debate on the draft Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi