AP by-polls: BJP to contest for only one seat
Hyderabad: The BJP Tuesday said it has decided
not to contest the upcoming bypolls to five of the six assembly segments in Telangana region to honour the local sentiment.
"Inspite of pressure from party cadre and pro-Telangana
organisations, the party has decided not to contest five
assembly seats and will extend support to those candidates who
are seeking re-election after their resignations in support of
separate statehood," Andhra Pradesh BJP chief G Kishan Reddy
told reporters here.
Seven assembly seats - six in Telangana region and one in
Coastal Andhra is going for by-poll on March 18.
Except Kovur, all other seats ? Mahabubnagar, Kollapur,
Nagarkurnool, Station Ghanpur, Adilabad and Kamareddy ? fall
in Telangana region, which has often witnessed turmoil over
the issue of separate statehood.
Reddy said the BJP will contest only the Mahabubnagar
assembly seat since it fell vacant following the death of the
sitting Independent MLA, associated with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him