AP by-polls: BJP to contest for only one seat
Hyderabad: The BJP Tuesday said it has decided
not to contest the upcoming bypolls to five of the six assembly segments in Telangana region to honour the local sentiment.
"Inspite of pressure from party cadre and pro-Telangana
organisations, the party has decided not to contest five
assembly seats and will extend support to those candidates who
are seeking re-election after their resignations in support of
separate statehood," Andhra Pradesh BJP chief G Kishan Reddy
told reporters here.
Seven assembly seats - six in Telangana region and one in
Coastal Andhra is going for by-poll on March 18.
Except Kovur, all other seats ? Mahabubnagar, Kollapur,
Nagarkurnool, Station Ghanpur, Adilabad and Kamareddy ? fall
in Telangana region, which has often witnessed turmoil over
the issue of separate statehood.
Reddy said the BJP will contest only the Mahabubnagar
assembly seat since it fell vacant following the death of the
sitting Independent MLA, associated with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog