AP by-polls: BJP to contest for only one seat
Hyderabad: The BJP Tuesday said it has decided
not to contest the upcoming bypolls to five of the six assembly segments in Telangana region to honour the local sentiment.
"Inspite of pressure from party cadre and pro-Telangana
organisations, the party has decided not to contest five
assembly seats and will extend support to those candidates who
are seeking re-election after their resignations in support of
separate statehood," Andhra Pradesh BJP chief G Kishan Reddy
told reporters here.
Seven assembly seats - six in Telangana region and one in
Coastal Andhra is going for by-poll on March 18.
Except Kovur, all other seats ? Mahabubnagar, Kollapur,
Nagarkurnool, Station Ghanpur, Adilabad and Kamareddy ? fall
in Telangana region, which has often witnessed turmoil over
the issue of separate statehood.
Reddy said the BJP will contest only the Mahabubnagar
assembly seat since it fell vacant following the death of the
sitting Independent MLA, associated with Congress.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity
- WATCH: On this day, destructive AB de Villiers smashed Dale Steyn for 23 runs in one over
- JD(U) member of Rajya Sabha raises issue of paucity of judges