AP by-polls: Several thousand votes found invalid
Hyderabad: Several thousands votes were
found invalid by the election authorities in the just-
concluded by-polls in 12 Assembly constituencies of Andhra
State Chief Electoral Officer I V Subba Rao said as many
as 19,954 votes were found invalid in five Assembly segments
where paper ballots were used in the by-elections.
In each of these five constituencies, over 65 candidates
- majority of them independents - were in the fray.
"This might have caused some confusion in the voters
because of which they stamped on the ballots incorrectly. All
such votes were rejected," Subba Rao said.
In Yellareddy constituency in Nizamabad district, 5,378
votes were rejected. In Huzurabad, Siricilla and Korutla
segments in Karimnagar district 5017, 4201 and 2898 votes were
rejected respectively. In Warangal West 2,460 votes were
In seven other constituencies where Electronic Voting
Machines were used, the total number of votes rejected was 69
with Nizamabad Urban accounting for 30 of them followed by 18
in Chennuru (SC) segment. These were all postal ballots.
Since each candidate in the five constituencies, where
paper ballots were used, got elected with huge margins, none
had any complaints over the rejected votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat
- Afghanistan deports 250 Pakistanis due to border tension
- India test fires Scramjet engine, joins elite club of nations
- Trupti Desai enters Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai; says happy that no one objected us
- Turkish bombardment kills 35 civilians in Syria: Monitor