AP bypoll: BJP in a flux over fielding candidates
Hyderabad: BJP is facing a dilemma over
contesting the bypolls to seven Assembly constituencies in
Andhra Pradesh scheduled for March 18 as majority of the seats
fall in politically sensitive Telangana region.
Of the seven seats, the party has so far decided to
field candidates only in Mahabubnagar and Kovur.
"We have decided to field candidates in Mahabubnagar
(in Telangana) and Kovur (in coastal Andhra). We are yet to
decide on contesting in the remaining five other seats (all in
Telangana)," BJP state general secretary N Ramachandra Rao
Except Kovur, all other seats -- Mahabubnagar, Kollapur,
Nagarkurnool, Station Ghanpur, Adilabad and Kamareddy -- fall
in Telangana region which has often witnessed turmoil over
The bypolls in six out of seven constituencies in
Telangana region are necessitated following resignation of the
sitting MLAs in support of separate statehood demand and death
of Mahabubnagar MLA.
The predicament for BJP now is that it would be
accused of letting a split in pro-Telangana votes if it fields
candidates, while it would miss a political opportunity if it
does not take the plunge.
Significantly, BJP is at the forefront of separate
Telangana agitation and it has been a member of the Telangana
political Joint Action Committee (JAC) spearheading the stir.
However, the Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS), which is
also a member of JAC, has announced candidates for all the
seats which has ruffled the feathers of BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city