AP bypolls: Lok Satta party names candidates
Hyderabad: The Lok Satta Party on Friday named candidates for two more seats in the June 12 Assembly bypolls, taking the total number of seats it is contesting for to six.
Jonnalagadda Jaya Bhagyam, a Dalit agricultural laborer from Pedagottipadu village, will contest from Pattipadu in Guntur district and Karnam Vasanta Kumar, a lawyer, from Yemmiganur in Kurnool district, Lok Satta president N Jayaprakash Narayan told reporters.
The party has already named its candidates for Ongole, Rayadurgam, Anantapur and Tirupati seats.
Bypolls will be held for one Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats. The bye-elections to 16 of the 18 Assembly seats were necessitated as the sitting Congress MLAs switched loyalty to Kadapa MP, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, and voted against Congress government during a floor test in December, while the sitting member quit in support of Jagan in another place.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi quit as MLA following his election to Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it