AP bypolls: Lok Satta party names candidates
Hyderabad: The Lok Satta Party on Friday named candidates for two more seats in the June 12 Assembly bypolls, taking the total number of seats it is contesting for to six.
Jonnalagadda Jaya Bhagyam, a Dalit agricultural laborer from Pedagottipadu village, will contest from Pattipadu in Guntur district and Karnam Vasanta Kumar, a lawyer, from Yemmiganur in Kurnool district, Lok Satta president N Jayaprakash Narayan told reporters.
The party has already named its candidates for Ongole, Rayadurgam, Anantapur and Tirupati seats.
Bypolls will be held for one Lok Sabha and 18 Assembly seats. The bye-elections to 16 of the 18 Assembly seats were necessitated as the sitting Congress MLAs switched loyalty to Kadapa MP, YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, and voted against Congress government during a floor test in December, while the sitting member quit in support of Jagan in another place.
Actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi quit as MLA following his election to Rajya Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader
- Trump economics would 'bankrupt America', says Clinton
- 2,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean: Italian coast guard
- Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal along with a likely 10-member cabinet to take oath today