AP CID makes first arrest in call data leak case
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh CID, probing the leakage of phone call data of a senior CBI officer, on Wednesday arrested a top executive of a Maharashtra based company for his alleged role in the scandal, a senior CID official said.
K Venka Reddy alias K V Reddy, vice president of Ind Barath Energies (Maharashtra) Ltd, was apprehended from here and has confessed to the crime, CID Additional Director General of Police S V Ramana Murthy said, adding Reddy has admitted to having committed the offence at the instance of other accused persons.
Reddy is being remanded in judicial custody and efforts are on to arrest the other accused who are absconding, Murthy said.
The CID had last month taken over the probe pertaining to "unauthorised tracking" of the phone call details of CBI Joint Director (Hyderabad Zone) V V Lakshmi Narayana after Hyderabad and Cyberabad police initially registered separate cases on complaints by the officer and social worker Vasireddy Chandrabala that their call details were being illegally obtained to "malign" them.
CID has booked the case on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and other relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and various provisions of Information Technology Act 2000.
The Cyberabad Police had suspended Nacharam Circle Inspector M Srinivasa Rao for his alleged role in collecting the call details of Chandrabala.
Earlier, YSR Congress Party leaders had made public a list of phone calls, reportedly made and received by Lakshmi Narayana, accusing him of "selectively leaking" the information pertaining to the ongoing probe in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress chief Jaganmohan Reddy, to select media persons and Chandrabala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda