AP CID makes first arrest in call data leak case
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh CID, probing the leakage of phone call data of a senior CBI officer, on Wednesday arrested a top executive of a Maharashtra based company for his alleged role in the scandal, a senior CID official said.
K Venka Reddy alias K V Reddy, vice president of Ind Barath Energies (Maharashtra) Ltd, was apprehended from here and has confessed to the crime, CID Additional Director General of Police S V Ramana Murthy said, adding Reddy has admitted to having committed the offence at the instance of other accused persons.
Reddy is being remanded in judicial custody and efforts are on to arrest the other accused who are absconding, Murthy said.
The CID had last month taken over the probe pertaining to "unauthorised tracking" of the phone call details of CBI Joint Director (Hyderabad Zone) V V Lakshmi Narayana after Hyderabad and Cyberabad police initially registered separate cases on complaints by the officer and social worker Vasireddy Chandrabala that their call details were being illegally obtained to "malign" them.
CID has booked the case on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and other relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and various provisions of Information Technology Act 2000.
The Cyberabad Police had suspended Nacharam Circle Inspector M Srinivasa Rao for his alleged role in collecting the call details of Chandrabala.
Earlier, YSR Congress Party leaders had made public a list of phone calls, reportedly made and received by Lakshmi Narayana, accusing him of "selectively leaking" the information pertaining to the ongoing probe in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress chief Jaganmohan Reddy, to select media persons and Chandrabala.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani