AP CID makes first arrest in call data leak case
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh CID, probing the leakage of phone call data of a senior CBI officer, on Wednesday arrested a top executive of a Maharashtra based company for his alleged role in the scandal, a senior CID official said.
K Venka Reddy alias K V Reddy, vice president of Ind Barath Energies (Maharashtra) Ltd, was apprehended from here and has confessed to the crime, CID Additional Director General of Police S V Ramana Murthy said, adding Reddy has admitted to having committed the offence at the instance of other accused persons.
Reddy is being remanded in judicial custody and efforts are on to arrest the other accused who are absconding, Murthy said.
The CID had last month taken over the probe pertaining to "unauthorised tracking" of the phone call details of CBI Joint Director (Hyderabad Zone) V V Lakshmi Narayana after Hyderabad and Cyberabad police initially registered separate cases on complaints by the officer and social worker Vasireddy Chandrabala that their call details were being illegally obtained to "malign" them.
CID has booked the case on charges of criminal conspiracy, cheating and other relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and various provisions of Information Technology Act 2000.
The Cyberabad Police had suspended Nacharam Circle Inspector M Srinivasa Rao for his alleged role in collecting the call details of Chandrabala.
Earlier, YSR Congress Party leaders had made public a list of phone calls, reportedly made and received by Lakshmi Narayana, accusing him of "selectively leaking" the information pertaining to the ongoing probe in the disproportionate assets case against YSR Congress chief Jaganmohan Reddy, to select media persons and Chandrabala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees