AP CM asks media to exercise self-regulation
Hyderabad: Observing that sensationalism has
crept into the media, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K Rosaiah on Sunday underscored the need for the fourth estate to exercise
self-regulation and maintain high standards of professionalism
"News is sacred. News and interpretation should not be
mixed. The news appearing in newspapers and TV channels have a
profound impact on the society. These days, we often see
sensational, inaccurate and biased news being carried. Media
should exercise self-regulation," he said.
Rosaiah`s speech was read out at the 30th anniversary
celebrations of `Prajasakti`, a Telugu daily, run by the
State Information Minister J Geeta Reddy also highlighted
the need for the media to exercise self-regulation.
"Sensationalism and fall in ethics and professional
standards are plaguing the media today. Rejoinders and
clarifications to sensational headlines are not carried
prominently. Maintaining ethics is very important in
journalism. (While) Government regulation is not desirable, I
urge the media to observe self-regulation," she said.
CPI(M) state secretary B V Raghavulu said `Prajasakti`
did not hesitate to say that it stood for the common people.
The daily scrupulously avoided giving prominence to
sensational stories, personal lives of celebrities and
political vendetta, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan