AP CM compares bifurcation plan to cyclone, says will try to stop Telangana
Srikakulam: Comparing the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh to "cyclone", Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Sunday said he would make efforts to thwart it.
"We cannot stop the (natural) cyclone. But, we will definitely try to stop this cyclone that would damage the state. We need your help and cooperation," he said, speaking at a meeting in Srikakulam district in coastal Andhra which was hit by Cyclone Phailin earlier this month.
Reddy`s open opposition to the division is in defiance of the stand of Congress High Command which has backed the creation of state of Telangana.
Reddy also conducted an aerial survey of the cyclone-hit areas of the district and interacted with fishermen and farmers who were affected by Phailin.
Two people were killed in the district during the cyclone and crops were damaged extensively.
Referring to the state government`s efforts to contain the impact, Reddy said loss of human life was prevented to a great extent due to these efforts. As many as 1.35 lakh people were shifted to safer places after the government employees who were on strike in protest against the bifurcation joined back, he said, appreciating the agitating employees` role.
Reddy announced that welfare programs will be undertaken for the fishermen community in Srikakulam district.
Announcing several measures for coconut farmers, he said Rs 5,000 per acre will be given for planting the trees under NREGS, and more compensation would be paid to those farmers who suffered due to the cyclone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- China to expand counter-terror cooperation with India: Official
- PAC takes up CAG report on AgustaWestland issue
- Turkey party seeks constitutional change to boost Erdogan
- Leander Paes, Rohan Bopanna in men's doubles third round at Roland Garros
- Harshvardhan Kapoor’s Bollywood debut 'Mirzya' to release on October 7!