AP CM Reddy to embark on `Indira Baata`
Hyderabad: With unrest and disgust growing among people due to a host of problems, the Congress government in Andhra Pradesh has decided to do some "damage control" by placing the "facts" before them.
In this direction, Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy will embark on a new programme `Indira Baata` (Indira`s path) from East Godavari district on July 12 not just to trumpet the various "welfare" schemes being implemented by his government but also "put things in perspective".
Sources in the CMO said Reddy would randomly select a district and take up the `Baata` every week.
As a precursor to his latest mass contact mission, the Chief Minister held a high-level meeting with his Cabinet colleagues and top bureaucrats here on Tuesday to discuss the issues that he would have to confront (from people) during the Baata.
Under the programme, the Chief Minister will spend two to three days in each district and tour various Assembly constituencies to get a first-hand feel of the people`s pulse. The CM would like to tour at least 100 Assembly segments in the next couple of months.
The main objective of the programme is to win over the people who are left totally disillusioned because of the government`s failure in addressing their concerns.
"Ranging from rise in prices of essential commodities, power tariff hike, growing hours of power cut to scarcity of fertiliser and seeds affecting agricultural operations, non-disbursal of crop loans to targeted farmers...Everything has contributed to the people`s anger over the government. It had clearly reflected in the by-elections last month. Besides, there is a mispropaganda that the government has watered down the welfare schemes," a senior minister noted after the meeting with the Chief Minister today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?