AP CM replies to EC notice, says his comments `slip of tongue`
Hyderabad: Replying to EC`s show cause notice on violation of model code of conduct during a public meeting, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday said it was a "slip of tongue" and not a deliberate attempt to violate the poll code.
"It was only due to a slip of tongue that my appeal to party workers conveyed a wrong meaning. My intention was to exhort each party worker to make 10 people vote for Congress (in the by-elections) by propagating the government schemes," the Chief Minister clarified in his reply, submitted to the Election Commission on Thursday.
The complaint against Kiran was that during a public meeting in Rayadurg Assembly constituency in Anantapur district on May 18, he had asked each party worker to "cast 10 votes" in the June 12 by-election in favour of the Congress.
Sources in the Chief Minister`s office said Kiran`s reply was sent to the the ECI in New Delhi, with a copy marked to the Chief Electoral Officer.
The Election Commission had issued a notice to Reddy two days ago, seeking explanation on his remarks made at the Congress workers` meeting in Rayadurgam last week.
The YSR Congress lodged a complaint against the Chief Minister with the EC accusing him of violating the code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli