AP CM requests Himachal CM to expedite rescue operations
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on Monday night asked Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Veerbhadra Singh to speed up rescue operations to trace the bodies of engineering students from Andhra Pradesh who were feared drowned in Beas river.
Of the 24 students feared drowned, bodies of only five students have been fished out so far.
"Parents of the students have complained about the slow pace of rescue operations in Himachal Pradesh. I have requested the state chief minister as well as union Home Minister to speed up operations," Chandrababu told reporters here.
The AP government has arranged a special flight to carry grieving parents to Himachal Pradesh.
About 22 students, who escaped the tragedy, reached Kulu safely and efforts were on to bring them back to Andhra Pradesh.
"Parents of some students met me personally. They were in lot of grief since the fate of their kids was not known," he said.
A girl student spoke to her mother minutes before the tragedy and enquired about Chandrababu`s swearing-in ceremony.
"This is so moving," Chandrababu said.
He said the tragedy is the result of an unmindful act by irrigation authorities in Himachal Pradesh.
"They released water from the reservoir without any warning, which caused a flash flood. We lost 24 students who had a very bright future," the AP Chief Minister said.
"This incident is an example of how destiny chases humans," he said.
The AP Chief Minister said the Chief Secretary of Telangana has been asked to co-ordinate rescue operations with his Andhra Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh counterparts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof