AP CM reviews preparations in the face of cyclone
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday reviewed the preparations to face the impending cyclone and directed senior officials to take all precautionary measures in coastal districts.
Reddy, who conducted a review meeting with Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy and Chief Secretary P K Mohanty, instructed that people and cattle from low-lying areas should be shifted as and when necessary to safer places, an official release said here.
Following directions from the Chief Minister, the Chief Secretary, Disaster Management Commissioner T Radha and other top officials held a video conference with collectors of nine coastal Andhra districts.
The Chief Secretary told the collectors of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Guntur, Krishna, Prakasam and Nellore that as per the latest IMD Bulletin today, cyclone Phailin moved slightly north-westwards.
It intensified further and lay centred at 0530 hrs IST today as a cyclonic storm about 850 km southeast of Paradip, 900km east-south-east of Kalingapatnam and 950 km east-southeast of Visakhapatnam.
The system would intensify into a severe cyclonic storm during the next 12 hours and continue to move north-westwards and cross north Andhra Pradesh and Odisha coast between Kalingapatnam and Paradip by the night of October 12 as a very severe cyclonic storm with a maximum sustained wind speed of 175-185 kmph.
North coastal districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam are likely to experience very heavy rain from tomorrow evening and other coastal districts would also receive heavy rainfall.
A round-the-clock control Room has been set up in Revenue (DM) Department in the Secretariat here, with telephone numbers 040-23456005/23451043 and Fax- 040-23451819.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter