AP CM reviews preparations in the face of cyclone
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday reviewed the preparations to face the impending cyclone and directed senior officials to take all precautionary measures in coastal districts.
Reddy, who conducted a review meeting with Revenue Minister N Raghuveera Reddy and Chief Secretary P K Mohanty, instructed that people and cattle from low-lying areas should be shifted as and when necessary to safer places, an official release said here.
Following directions from the Chief Minister, the Chief Secretary, Disaster Management Commissioner T Radha and other top officials held a video conference with collectors of nine coastal Andhra districts.
The Chief Secretary told the collectors of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhapatnam, East Godavari, West Godavari, Guntur, Krishna, Prakasam and Nellore that as per the latest IMD Bulletin today, cyclone Phailin moved slightly north-westwards.
It intensified further and lay centred at 0530 hrs IST today as a cyclonic storm about 850 km southeast of Paradip, 900km east-south-east of Kalingapatnam and 950 km east-southeast of Visakhapatnam.
The system would intensify into a severe cyclonic storm during the next 12 hours and continue to move north-westwards and cross north Andhra Pradesh and Odisha coast between Kalingapatnam and Paradip by the night of October 12 as a very severe cyclonic storm with a maximum sustained wind speed of 175-185 kmph.
North coastal districts of Srikakulam, Vizianagaram and Visakhapatnam are likely to experience very heavy rain from tomorrow evening and other coastal districts would also receive heavy rainfall.
A round-the-clock control Room has been set up in Revenue (DM) Department in the Secretariat here, with telephone numbers 040-23456005/23451043 and Fax- 040-23451819.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened