AP CM urges Centre to take quick decision on Telangana
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Thursday said he has requested the Centre to take a "quick decision" on the contentious Telangana statehood issue.
Replying to questions about his recent trip to New Delhi, he said he had provided "necessary information" to the Centre on the statehood issue while interacting with the top central leadership, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi.
"We are trying to help the Centre with whatever information they want. All of us are requesting them to take a quick decision (on Telangana)," Kiran told reporters.
He brushed aside as "media speculation" recent reports that he had suggested the constitution of a `Territorial Administration` for Telangana.
"What I spoke is between our central leadership and the central government. All that is coming out in the media is only speculation," he said.
Seeming elated about Congress` "victory" in recent elections to co-operative bodies in the state, he claimed the party was ready to face general elections "any time".
"Farmers have reposed faith in the Congress government. We will now work with renewed commitment to repay their debt," he said.
However, he ruled out announcing a loan waiver scheme for farmers. "It (loan waiver) is not practical. It will not happen," he said.
He said that in the current year, farmers in the state were disbursed crop loans to the tune of Rs 42,000 crore. The amount would increase to Rs 60,000 crore next year.
"Waiving such a huge amount is not possible. If anyone is promising to do that, he is only trying to hoodwink the people," he said in an indirect reference to Telugu Desam Party (TDP) President N Chandrababu Naidu`s promise during his ongoing foot march.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’