AP Cong chief, Lakshminarayana file nominations for by-poll
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress president
D Srinivas and his BJP rival Y Lakshminarayana were among the
prominent candidates who today filed their nominations for the
bypolls to 12 assembly seats in Telangana region to be held on
Srinivas and Lakshminarayana filed their nominations for
the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency.
Senior BJP leaders Prakash Javadekar, incharge of BJP
affairs in Andhra Pradesh, B Dattatreya and others campaigned
for Lakshminarayana in Nizamabad today. Srinivas lost to
Lakshminarayana in last year`s assembly elections.
A total of 31 candidates have filed their nominations
today, state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) I V Subba Rao said
here. The total number of nominations filed so far reached 52.
The bypolls in the 12 seats are necessitated as the
sitting MLAs had quit their posts in support of separate
The CEO said the Election Commission is leaving no stone
unturned to ensure that complete transparency is maintained in
using Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).
Meanwhile, TRS today said it has filed a petition in the
High Court seeking a re-look into using EVMs.
The EVMs to be used in the bypolls are being checked in
the presence of representatives of political parties for three
days from yesterday to ensure transparency, the CEO said.
Responding to the doubts raised by some political parties
over the functioning of EVMs, he said total care is taken that
there are no loopholes in using the machines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital