AP Cong chief, Lakshminarayana file nominations for by-poll
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress president
D Srinivas and his BJP rival Y Lakshminarayana were among the
prominent candidates who today filed their nominations for the
bypolls to 12 assembly seats in Telangana region to be held on
Srinivas and Lakshminarayana filed their nominations for
the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency.
Senior BJP leaders Prakash Javadekar, incharge of BJP
affairs in Andhra Pradesh, B Dattatreya and others campaigned
for Lakshminarayana in Nizamabad today. Srinivas lost to
Lakshminarayana in last year`s assembly elections.
A total of 31 candidates have filed their nominations
today, state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) I V Subba Rao said
here. The total number of nominations filed so far reached 52.
The bypolls in the 12 seats are necessitated as the
sitting MLAs had quit their posts in support of separate
The CEO said the Election Commission is leaving no stone
unturned to ensure that complete transparency is maintained in
using Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).
Meanwhile, TRS today said it has filed a petition in the
High Court seeking a re-look into using EVMs.
The EVMs to be used in the bypolls are being checked in
the presence of representatives of political parties for three
days from yesterday to ensure transparency, the CEO said.
Responding to the doubts raised by some political parties
over the functioning of EVMs, he said total care is taken that
there are no loopholes in using the machines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees