AP Cong chief, Lakshminarayana file nominations for by-poll
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Congress president D Srinivas, his BJP rival Y Lakshminarayana were among the prominent candidates who filed their nominations for the bypolls to 12 assembly seats in Telangana region scheduled to be held on July 27.
Both Srinivas and Lakshminarayana filed their nominations for the Nizamabad Urban assembly constituency. Senior BJP leaders Prakash Javadekar, incharge of BJP affairs in Andhra Pradesh, B Dattatreya and others campaigned for Lakshminarayana in Nizamabad today. Srinivas lost to Lakshminarayana in last year`s assembly elections.
A total of 31 candidates have filed their nominations today, state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) I V Subba Rao said here. With today`s 31 the total number of nominations filed so
far reached 52.
The bypolls in the 12 seats are necessitated as the sitting MLAs had quit their posts in support of separate Telangana.
The CEO said the Election Commission is leaving no stone unturned to ensure that complete transparency is maintained in using Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs).
The EVMs to be used in the bypolls are being checked in the presence of representatives of political parties for three days from yesterday to ensure transparency.
Responding to the doubts raised by some political parties over the functioning of EVMs, he said total care is taken that there are no loopholes in using the machines.
Meanwhile, TRS today said it has filed a petition in the High Court seeking a re-look on using EVMs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa