AP Cong demands apology from CPM
Vijayawada: The Andhra Pradesh Congress Committee has demanded an apology from the CPM to farmers in Krishna region for its objection to release of irrigation water for Krishna delta from Nagarjuna Sagar dam.
Yesterday, CPM state secretary BV Raghavulu wrote a letter to the Chief Minister objecting to the release of water from Nagarjuna Sagar to Krishna delta.
State Congress Committee secretary Kolanukonda Shivaji told reporters here today that "none has the right to deny the farmers the water from the historical Krishna delta" and demanded an apology from the CPM over the issue.
He said it is the tradition to release water from Nagarjuna Sagar to Krishna delta on priority and previously many times the water was also released from dead storage to protect the interests of farmers in Krishna delta region.
The CPI had yesterday demanded that the state government convene an all-party meeting to discuss the row over releasing irrigation water to Krishna and other districts.
The controversy began after TRS objected to the release of water from Nagarjuna Sagar dam, which is at a low level, to the `Krishna delta` - districts of Krishna and Guntur, among others, in coastal Andhra - on the ground that it would deprive Hyderabad and some Telangana districts of even water to drink.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees