AP Congress leader, industrialist Gokaraju passes away at 93
Vijayawada (AP): Industrialist, freedom fighter and Congress leader Gokaraju Subba Raju died on Monday at a private hospital in Hyderabad. He was 93.
He is survived by two sons and two daughters.
Born in 1920 in a small village called Juvvalapalem in West Godavari district in a rich agricultural family, Raju studied pharmacy in the USA and set up a pharmaceutical company called South India Research Institute in 1950 in Vijayawada. Later, he extended his business to Hyderabad.
He participated in the freedom movement and became a member of the first Legislative Council of Andhra Pradesh. He was also elected as deputy chairman of the council.
He had wide contacts with national leaders like former presidents Rajendra Prasad, Abdul Kalam, late Prime Ministers like Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi, besides many other national leaders.
Whenever Nehru and Indira Gandhi visited Vijaywada, they used to stay in his house as his guests.
Several industrialists and political leaders have expressed their grief over his death.
His body will be brought to Vijayawada for funeral tomorrow, his family said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire