AP Congress says it favours BC quota in local body
Hyderabad: Congress in Andhra Pradesh is in favour of backward classes having their due share of quota in the local body polls, the party`s state unit said Tuesday.
The Congress government faces a dilemma over the issue as the Andhra High Court recently ruled that reservations be fixed at 50 per cent which means the quota for backward classes had to be reduced from the 34 per cent the government originally wanted.
Opposition parties and backward caste organisations have demanded that the quota should not be cut down.
State Congress President Botsa Satyanarayana indicated that further consultations with experts and others will be held over the quota issue.
Asked about the meeting of TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao with Union Minister Vayalar Ravi, who looks after Congress affairs in Andhra, and whether there was any possibility of merger of TRS with Congress as speculated in some quarters, the PCC President asked how could a (routine) meeting result in merger.
To a query on Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remarks on Telangana, Satyanarayana said the minister only said he needed to study the sensitive issue as he had recently taken over the reins of the Ministry and that there was nothing wrong in it.
Asked about the reported comments of Congress Rajya Sabha member Chiranjeevi that there is lack of coordination in Andhra Congress, he said the actor-turned-politician did not say so but only felt things can be improved further, especially with regard to the union of Congress and PRP post-merger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!