AP Congress says it favours BC quota in local body
Hyderabad: Congress in Andhra Pradesh is in favour of backward classes having their due share of quota in the local body polls, the party`s state unit said Tuesday.
The Congress government faces a dilemma over the issue as the Andhra High Court recently ruled that reservations be fixed at 50 per cent which means the quota for backward classes had to be reduced from the 34 per cent the government originally wanted.
Opposition parties and backward caste organisations have demanded that the quota should not be cut down.
State Congress President Botsa Satyanarayana indicated that further consultations with experts and others will be held over the quota issue.
Asked about the meeting of TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao with Union Minister Vayalar Ravi, who looks after Congress affairs in Andhra, and whether there was any possibility of merger of TRS with Congress as speculated in some quarters, the PCC President asked how could a (routine) meeting result in merger.
To a query on Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remarks on Telangana, Satyanarayana said the minister only said he needed to study the sensitive issue as he had recently taken over the reins of the Ministry and that there was nothing wrong in it.
Asked about the reported comments of Congress Rajya Sabha member Chiranjeevi that there is lack of coordination in Andhra Congress, he said the actor-turned-politician did not say so but only felt things can be improved further, especially with regard to the union of Congress and PRP post-merger.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted