AP council polls: TRS secures two seats
Hyderabad: Two TRS-backed candidates have emerged victorious while the Congress-supported nominee won in one of the six Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council seats for which elections were held on February 21.
The Telangana Rashtra Samiti`s efforts to spread its wings to southern Telangana and showcase that the statehood sentiment is strong in the entire region received a setback as it could not win the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council seat from the Warangal-Khammam-Nalgoda Teachers` constituency.
The TRS, however, managed to secure victory for the two candidates it supported in north Telangana.
Elections to six Legislative Council seats, three Graduates` and three Teachers` constituencies in Telangana and coastal Andhra regions were held in all on February 21 and, after counting since yesterday, results were finally declared today.
In the final analysis, the TRS-backed candidates won two seats, the Progressive Recognised Teachers` Union two, the Progressive Democratic Front one and the Congress-supported nominee one seat.
The ruling Congress-backed candidate Ravi Kumar Verma won the East-West Godavari Graduates’ constituency.
The YSR Congress is said to have extended tacit support to the Congress here.
TRS-supported Swami Goud and P Sudhakar Reddy emerged victorious from the Karimnagar-Medak-Adilabad-Nizamabad Graduates and Teachers’ constituencies respectively.
Swami Goud was leader of the Telangana NGOs` Joint Action Committee that took an active part in the statement struggle while Sudhakar Reddy was a former MLC.
In Warangal-Khammam-Nalgonda Teachers’ constituency, however, the TRS tasted bitter defeat as its nominee Varada Reddy lost to Progressive Recognised Teachers Union’s Pula Ravinder.
"We will prove that the Telangana sentiment is strong even in Khammam and Nalgonda by winning this seat," the TRS leadership had announced when Varada Reddy filed the nomination early this month.
That clearly did not happen, as the election results proved otherwise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed