AP Council polls: Two TRS-backed candidates win
Hyderabad: In a shot in the arm for TRS, two candidates supported by the party have emerged victorious in the elections held for six constituencies of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council.
TRS candidates K Swamy Goud and P Sudhakar Reddy won from the Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Graduates` constituency and Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Teachers` segment, respectively.
However, the TRS candidate was trailing in the Warangal-Khammam-Nalgonda Teachers` constituency, where counting of votes was in progress till late evening.
The biennial election was held on February 21 for three Graduates and as many Teachers` constituencies to fill up the vacancies which will be caused after the term of sitting MLCs expires next month.
G Srinivasulu Naidu won from the Srikakulam- Vizianagaram-Visakhapatnam Teachers` constituency.
The other constituencies where polls were held are East-West Godavari Graduates` constituency and Krishna-Guntur Graduates` constituency.
In the election mainly contested by independents, only a couple of candidates have been put up by other major parties like ruling Congress and main Opposition TDP.
Meanwhile, the Election Commission today announced the schedule of biennial election to fill the vacancies to be caused by the expiry of term of 10 MLCs (to be elected by MLAs). The polling for these seats will be held on March 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje