AP Council polls: Two TRS-backed candidates win
Hyderabad: In a shot in the arm for TRS, two candidates supported by the party have emerged victorious in the elections held for six constituencies of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council.
TRS candidates K Swamy Goud and P Sudhakar Reddy won from the Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Graduates` constituency and Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Teachers` segment, respectively.
However, the TRS candidate was trailing in the Warangal-Khammam-Nalgonda Teachers` constituency, where counting of votes was in progress till late evening.
The biennial election was held on February 21 for three Graduates and as many Teachers` constituencies to fill up the vacancies which will be caused after the term of sitting MLCs expires next month.
G Srinivasulu Naidu won from the Srikakulam- Vizianagaram-Visakhapatnam Teachers` constituency.
The other constituencies where polls were held are East-West Godavari Graduates` constituency and Krishna-Guntur Graduates` constituency.
In the election mainly contested by independents, only a couple of candidates have been put up by other major parties like ruling Congress and main Opposition TDP.
Meanwhile, the Election Commission today announced the schedule of biennial election to fill the vacancies to be caused by the expiry of term of 10 MLCs (to be elected by MLAs). The polling for these seats will be held on March 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!