AP Council polls: Two TRS-backed candidates win
Hyderabad: In a shot in the arm for TRS, two candidates supported by the party have emerged victorious in the elections held for six constituencies of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council.
TRS candidates K Swamy Goud and P Sudhakar Reddy won from the Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Graduates` constituency and Medak-Nizamabad-Adilabad-Karimnagar Teachers` segment, respectively.
However, the TRS candidate was trailing in the Warangal-Khammam-Nalgonda Teachers` constituency, where counting of votes was in progress till late evening.
The biennial election was held on February 21 for three Graduates and as many Teachers` constituencies to fill up the vacancies which will be caused after the term of sitting MLCs expires next month.
G Srinivasulu Naidu won from the Srikakulam- Vizianagaram-Visakhapatnam Teachers` constituency.
The other constituencies where polls were held are East-West Godavari Graduates` constituency and Krishna-Guntur Graduates` constituency.
In the election mainly contested by independents, only a couple of candidates have been put up by other major parties like ruling Congress and main Opposition TDP.
Meanwhile, the Election Commission today announced the schedule of biennial election to fill the vacancies to be caused by the expiry of term of 10 MLCs (to be elected by MLAs). The polling for these seats will be held on March 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday